Nothing compares to coming home to the joy and love of your furry friends. If you’ve shared your home with a pet, you know how much love, companionship and happiness that animal can bring, but did you know our pets make us physicals and mentally healthier?
Physical Health Benefits
Research has shown that owning a pet can have some significant health benefits, including:
- Lower blood pressure & lower cholesterol
- Increased physical activity, dog in particular help up to get out of the house and be active! Dogs can be great motivators and sometimes even our own personal trainers
- May help strengthen your immune system, especially if you have grown up with pets around
Psychological Health Benefits
- Pet owners may be more empathetic
- Pet owners report less depression, are able to cope with grief and show less signs of stress, than those without pets
- Pets know when you’re feeling down, they can make us feel safe, comforted, happy and can even cheer us up
- Our pets make sure we’re never lonely, always by our side and making sure we know they’re around
If you’re considering adopting a pet, visit your local RSPCA or Pet Rescue Centre.
Information from RSPCA Australia.