We all know a good night sleep is key to feeling great, but did you know it’s also key to a healthy lifestyle?
A lack of sleep is linked to an array of health problems, from weight gain to depression and heart disease.
Good sleeping habits are what allows us to have the perfect snooze to help us feel full of energy. A good snooze will also help you to eat less, ‘greater athletic performance and lowers your risk of heart disease.
How much sleep do we need?
The amount of sleep we need varies depending on your age.
- most adults require 7 – 9 full hours
- teenagers require 8 – 10 hours
- young children (6 – 13) require 9 – 11 hours
- newborn to toddlers require between 12 – 17 hours
How to improve your sleep quality:
You may need to change some of your sleeping habits to improve your sleep quality. Try our suggestions below:
- Have a consistent bed time, being consistent with your sleep and wake times can aid in long-term sleep patterns
- Avoid napping during the day, taking naps during the day can confuse your internal clock, meaning that you may struggle to fall asleep at night
- Try winding down at least an hour before your bed time, stay away from electronics!
- Stay away from caffeinated drinks later in the day
- Exercise regularly but not before bed
- Make sure you’re sleeping in comfort; a comfortable bed and pillow will help you snooze a lot quicker if you’re comfortable!
The bottom line:
Getting a good night sleep is so important for you to feel great and will help improve your overall health.
Information from Sleep Health Foundation.